Friday, November 2, 2012

Who's Authority Is It?

“[Submission to Governing Authorities] Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.” Romans 13:1 NIV

What a verse that is to think about this time of year - or should I say this time of every four years?  Next week, we will go to the polls and cast our vote for the candidate that we think is the man for the job.  Or we may feel like we are going to vote for the guy that we think will do the least amount of damage.  Either way, someone will win the election and it may not be the person that you voted for.  **Gasp!**  God's Word tells us to be subject to the governing authorities, not because we chose them or voted them there, but because they have been established by God. 

Each Christian that votes has an idea which candidate they feel God would want to be our leader.  Not all Christians have the same idea of who that is.  But this verse tells us that whoever wins is there because their authority has been established by God.  And our job is to subject ourselves to them - to their authority.  As much as it pains me to say it, because I definitely have a candidate that I favor over the other, I will have to subject myself to our president's authority regardless of the outcome.  Aargh!  Did I really say that?  I may have to bite my tongue a few times and work on my poker face. 

But it's really all about submitting to the authority of my Heavenly Father.  He has appointed each leader for a time.  It's all part of the Master's plan.  Good things, bad things, neutral in-between things - they are all leading us down the path spelled out in His Word years and years ago.  I may not agree with everything that will be done or that goes on.  I may cringe when I hear about decisions being made and actions being carried out "on behalf of the American people."  But, as they say, "I've read the back of the book."  I know how this thing is gonna end.  I know how my family and I will come out in the end and golden streets and beautiful mansions sound really good to me!  And besides that, I love singing and I hear the music is AWESOME!!

So chin up Christians.  Look further ahead than next Tuesday - and focus on the PRIZE!  I hope to see you there!!!


MommyK

No comments:

Post a Comment