Sunday, November 11, 2012

Storms of Life

Little did I know when I went to bed last night that the storm was coming.  I guess I should have.  It was so windy yesterday it was unbelievable.  My sweet Boo's football team won their 3rd Super Bowl yesterday.  It was awesome!!  He's played PeeWee/Midget ball since 2nd grade.  This was his last year and out of his 5 years playing, his team won the Super Bowl 3 times!!  But even as I sat in the stands cheering and watching like a momma is supposed to do, I was bracing myself and doing a lot of praying that I wasn't going to get blown out of the stands.  :) 

I also knew it was supposed to rain today.  It was supposed to rain and become really cold.  I was ok with that because I knew I was stuck at home with a croupy baby Roo.  The doctor said no church for her today or we'd have a bunch of croupy babies.  In the night, when he let the puppies out to potty, Coach confirmed that the rain had started.  The weatherman got it right today.

So knowing all this about the weather, I should have expected a storm.  But when I got up this morning and looked out our living room windows, I was surprised to see everything blown all over the yard.  Coach was surprised too, even though he had been out in a little of it.

Isn't that how it is in life?  Storms just come and catch us by surprise.  When we look back, we think we should have seen it coming.  But even when the signs are there, sometimes we are just taken by surprise.  Roo's croup for example -  she woke up coughing a little Wednesday.  Thursday it sounded a little worse, but since it was just in the early morning and then seemed to go away, I blew it off as drainage while she was sleeping.  I was smart enough to leave her with Nana while we all went to Coach's game Friday night, but by Saturday morning it was clear that something was wrong.  Surprise!!  And I felt terrible for not getting her help sooner. 

Sometimes we really are blind-sided with things.  I went for some routine tests several weeks ago.  I expected to get the call I always do.  "Got your results in.  Everything looks fine.  See ya next year."  But this time that was not the call I got.  This time I got, "It might not be anything, but we need some more tests."  And after those tests they needed more tests.  I thought I would be a total wreck, waiting for all these tests to come in, but after an initial melt-down and a few tears, I was ok.  My pastor's wife (who also happens to be my dear auntie) prayed with me for peace and strength and that's exactly what received.  I felt strong and I was so at peace that I was able to put it out of my mind and wait patiently.  God was there in the storm and in the worry.  He shouldered the burden of worry and gave me the strength to be myself - to take care of my kids, to do my job, to be a wife and daughter, and to wear all those hats that I wear daily without being preoccupied.  Finally the results came.  It was "probably" nothing serious.  Come back in 6 months and we'll check it again.  Not exactly the definitive NO I was hoping for, but still PEACE. 

I love the Casting Crowns song "Praise You In This Storm:
     I was sure by now
     God You would have reached down
     And wiped our tears away
     Stepped in and saved the day
     But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

     As the thunder rolls
     I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
     "I'm with you"
     And as Your mercy falls
     I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
     And takes away

 
Even when the storm is at it's worst, it's most violent, it's most scary, He's with us.  He never leaves.  And even if we don't get the phone call, the answer we are expecting or hoping for, He's battling the storm with us.  Even when He doesn't step in like a super hero and save the day, he's giving us the strength to face our fears and not give up.  He'll never leave or forsake us.  His mercy is new EVERY morning. 

Lamentations 3:22-23
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness

Have a very blessed and PEACEful week,

MommyK

No comments:

Post a Comment